Sunday, February 26, 2012

One year

Dear Caleb,

Your first birthday has come and gone. You are well on your way to becoming a big boy now. You walk, talk and explore a little more every day.

We had a fun birthday party for you last weekend. Our friends and family came over to play, hang out, eat some food and watch you smear cake all over your face. It was great!

Of course as your birthday came, it made me think about just one year ago and not only how different life was, but about the day you arrived. When I think about your birth I remember there being a lot of unexpected things and some hard things, but mostly just joyful things.

My favorite and most tresured moment was the first time I really held you. If you remember, you were a tiny guy. That's because I got sick and the doctor's decided it was best for you to show up 5 1/2 weeks early. It wasn't your fault, but you had NO fat on you yet. I had held you for less than a minute when you first came out and I saw you several more times that day, but I honestly don't remember your first day that well. My first real moment with you came the next morning. The nurses took you out of your little incubator and I got to really hold you.

I remember feeling like I had been waiting for you for a long time and as I held you against my chest and you looked up at me, I felt complete. I had thought about you and dreamed about you and prayed for you and then, you were here. You were perfect and sweet and absolutely the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. A year later - you still are.

As you get to know me better, you will know that I don't cry very often. I didn't cry at Daddy and my wedding. I don't cry during movies. I don't even cry at funerals. Still, in that moment with you I cried and cried. And I still cry every single time I think about it. You fill me with joy in a way that only Mommies understand.

Over the past year you have grown and changed so much. You have reached all your milestones normally which has been so fun to see and reminds me of how good God is to us. You get in your fair share of mischief, but you are fun and overall a very happy guy. You are totally completely loved by the many people you get to share your life with.

This last month was a busy one (again!), but here are some new things that happened for you.

 -more teeth came in. At one year, you have a total of 11
-have tried lots of new foods, but you prefer your basics: applesauce, yogurt, bread, string cheese, crackers, bananas and peas
-started drinking real milk and juice, but you prefer water
-went to more basketball games. You usually last for about a half, but Daddy likes having you there and the Windsor boys are doing awesome this year.
-started saying "nana" (banana) "cheese," "hi," "bye," and "ma..." which I think means "more."
-started throwing your food and cup off your high chair
-started "helping" by emptying out drawers or baskets or even the clothes dryer
-celebrated Valentine's Day and Mommy's birthday
-figured out how to use your walker. You now go everywhere with it, very quickly and very loudly
-took your first steps! You are still a little scared, but you can walk pretty far if you try and are officially a toddler.

Happy first birthday baby!

I love you more than words can say,
Mommy



My favorite toy because it let's me cruise all over the house.

I love to eat!

Helping Mommy with the dishes

Happy little man

Loving the backyard

No comments:

Post a Comment