Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meet Caleb!

Allow me to introduce you to the man of the hour - our baby boy, Caleb!

Caleb Edward Lewis came into the world Sunday, February 20th, 2011 at 5:30am on the dot. He came out screaming and weighing all of 5 pounds 5 ounces. He was 18 inches long and from the first moment, was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

The name "Caleb" was finally decided on while I was in labor. Adam had been stuck on the name for weeks, but I still had other things in mind. I liked "Caleb", but wasn't entirely convinced. In the Bible Caleb was one of the twelve spies who was faithful to God and lived to see the promised land. But the actual meaning in Hebrew is "dog", which is a little weird. Upon further investigation - Caleb also means "bold," "loyal" and "faithful" (like a dog can be..) The more I said it, the more I liked it, so there it was! "Edward" was my grandpa's name and Adam never really a choice in the matter because I adored my grandpa!

Caleb came 5 weeks and 4 days early and spent the first two weeks of his life in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) at Sutter Medical Center in Santa Rosa where he won the hearts of all the nurses. He was visited and loved on daily by his family and focused on growing strong enough to go out into the big bad world. Once he was able to maintain his body temperature, eat a certain amount of food on his own and begin to gain weight; he was able to come home. Although those two weeks were the longest of Adam and my life, I am thankful that Caleb will never remember it, he was well cared for and I was able to rest and heal from my issues from his delivery.


One day old

I know as his mommy, I have a biased opinion, but this kid is pretty darn cute! Even as a newborn, he has amazing features. He has the sweetest little nose, mouth and ears, long fingers and toes and bright, curious eyes. He loves to move and cannot seem to get enough of his hands. For being so little, he is quite strong and already showing his independence. He insists on holding up his own bottle and
I swear is going to roll over any day. He is also quite "vocal" letting us know his opinion on things and making all sorts of funny noises throughout the day and night. Everyone who sees him comments on how much he looks like his daddy and as his eyes are becoming more and more blue, it really is quite obvious. This, of course, is fine with me. :)

Mr. bright eyes - 2 1/2 weeks old
Sleeping sweetly - 3 weeks
Speaking of Adam, Caleb had his heart from the first glance. Ad is completly in love with this baby and instantly has changed into a daddy. In the three short weeks Caleb has been with us I have several stored of moments I will treasure in my heart as I have watched my husband with his son. He talks so sweetly to him, helps with every part of caring for him and has been absolutely amazing!

Caleb and Adam - getting ready to go home
As of yesterday, Caleb is 6 pounds 4 ounces. This is a huge answer to prayer as our biggest concern upon bringing him home was that he would not continue to grow. Turns out he has grown so much in the last week, he received a clean bill of health from the doctor and does not need to be seen again until his 2 month check up! Praise the Lord!

As a new mama, I am quickly learning that my time is no longer my own. It took me over two hours to get this post written and I am now typing with one hand and holding my baby with the other. All of that will have to go into another post.... :)

Welcome to the world Caleb! Mommy loves you and can't wait to introduce you to all of our family and friends!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Caleb! Enjoyed your post descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is absolutely adorable!! It is amazing how you become a mom instantly when the precious baby is here. Congratulations again!!!

    ReplyDelete