Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Our not entirely Merry, but still great, Christmas

Christmas 2011. My baby's first Christmas. I was super excited about it because Caleb and Christmas are two things I love, so the thought of the two of them together? So fun!


Until about December 18th when....the flu hit. First Caleb was super fussy and I realized he had a fever that resulted in 5 days of a whiny baby that just wanted to be held, a doctor's visit (that told us he had a fever...duh) and not very much sleep for anyone. This was made worse by the fact that Adam came home from work on Monday with it too. Adam NEVER gets sick and the flu hit him hard. He was down for the count. So imagine my thankfulness when I was fine. I only had to take one day off of work thanks to my brother and Adam's mom taking Caleb and even able to get the last minute shopping done. Adam and Caleb both got better, we went to a fabulous Christmas Eve Eve service on Friday, the presents were (mostly) wrapped, the plans were are set...yay!

My handsome boys at Christmas Service

Opening presents with Daddy on Christmas Eve
Ready for action


The plan was: Christmas Eve at Adam's aunt and uncle's house with his side of the family, Christmas morning at my parents house with my family, then a combined family dinner at our house for 15 people.

The reality: We had to leave Christmas Eve dinner early so that I could run into the house to puke...boo. At first I just thought it was something I ate and then I realized...nope...the flu I thought I had dodged had hit me too. And on Christmas. :(


Christmas morning I called my mom to tell her the bad news only to find out she had the flu too! Double boo. I refused to let myself cry, mostly because I knew it wouldn't help anything, but also because I didn't have the energy to shed tears.

Being that this isn't the first (or second, or third or even fourth) time that things haven't gone according to my plan, I actually was able to be okay with God not answering my prayer to not be sick on Christmas and we went from there.

For the thousandth time this year I was, and still am, SO thankful for my husband. Adam stepped up and did everything. He took care of Caleb, changed the dinner location to his parents house and even made some of the last minute things for dinner.  We still were able to go to my parents for Christmas morning. My brother and sister made breakfast, we opened stockings and I layed on the couch while everyone else made Caleb's Christmas fun. As you can see he still had a great time.
Uncle Timmy's here mom!
So excited
Santa came!

Rallying to open stockings with my happy boy!
After going home for me to take a 3 hour nap, we went to Adam's parents for dinner. Adam's mom set a beautiful table and we opened even more presents. Caleb had so much fun and was loved to pieces. We ate great food and had a great time.

So despite my body feeling like I got run over by a truck, my heart was filled with joy this Christmas. I am so thankful for a God who loved me enough to send his only son to earth so that he could die on a cross for my sins, so thankful for family members who love Adam, Caleb and I so much, so thankful for a husband who is amazing and so thankful for a healthy, happy baby boy who fills every one of my days with delight.

And in addition to sweet smiles and hugs, Caleb gave Adam and me a great Christmas gift...he slept for 9 hours straight Christmas night!

Merry Christmas!


Loving all of his new toys

No comments:

Post a Comment